Time management tips
Are you having difficulties with time management at work? Whether you are running your own business, an employee or a student, focus on time and therefore on time management is a critical skill we all need. Far too often I hear leaders and business owners complain regularly about the “lack of time” to get everything done. Well I will let you into two secrets
- There are only 24 hours in a day – whether you are an employee or business owner
- Work will always expand to (more than) fill the time available – there will always be things clamoring for your attention (this short article for one!!)
If we hold these two ideas to be true, what is to be done? Why is it that some people seem to be able to achieve so much more with their time than others? The answer lies in understanding and applying a little time management discipline.
Staying on time
Here are three suggestions to help you stay on time, especially when time is tight and the stakes are high
- Create a to-do list. As someone who is a little “pressure prompted” to-do lists are critical, I use wunderlist.com as my digital to-do list. That way I can capture ideas and “oh I should really…” ideas and file them away for the appropriate time
- Is this urgent or important? Be clear about what your goals are and then ask yourself whether the task at hand is helping you to achieve your goals. If the answer is no, put it away now, no matter how much you enjoy the task, it is merely serving as a distraction
- Walk away. Schedule time away from your desk, whether it is time with the family, at the gym, or simply a walk around the neighborhood to clear your mind. Time away from the office or desk is critical, and can result in breakthrough thinking!
There you have it. Three time management tips in under three minutes. Common sense suggestions, that unfortunately we all too often forget to apply. What time-management tips would you add?