Conflict Resolution is cost effective,
Although conflict can be healthy, destructive conflict can be costly unless you have the right human resources expertise when things go wrong.
Most organisations experience conflict at some time. Conflict can arise within teams or with individual colleagues. Conflict can be healthy if it is resolved in the right way, professional HR Expertise is essential if an organisation has a culture of conflict. Conflict resolution management can be a purposeful way to highlight and solve problems in the workplace. If the signs and symptoms of conflict can be correctly identified and diffused in a timely way then precious time, energy and wasted costs can be saved.
There are two dynamics involved when considering conflict resolution. These are the style of conflict resolution, and the way different people operate. By understanding these two ways of approaching conflict, you can empower staff and managers to handle differences in a completely new way.
Everyone has a way of dealing with conflict that is unique to them. An organisation has a “culture” of dealing with conflict that often has nothing to do with the policies and values of the company. There are many different styles involved in resolving the conflict. It is very powerful for an organisation to understand how they can use different styles of conflict resolution in different situations to get a win/win result.
Simple differences in personality type can create conflict if the reasons for different approaches are not understood. Myers-Briggs personality type instrument ( MBTI ) is a powerful and effective tool which can be used. MBTI can help individuals and teams to understand differences, by helping people understand how they themselves and others, operate. The result can be less conflict and greater harmony in the workplace. A good Human Resources or an MBTI practitioner can help your organisation navigate through the maze of conflict by:
- Helping raise awareness of conflict and solutions
- Helping managers build a framework of their style
- Helping teams and individuals to understand different personality types and raising awareness of the benefits of difference
- Offer mediation where any conflicts have become formal
- Help organisations to have effective policies and processes to deal with conflict in a timely and effective way.
- Help Managers to understand their legislative obligations, particularly around the Equality Act 2010.